About museum, contact


Zelny trh 6,
659 37 Brno,
phone: +420 533 435 220
fax: +420 533 435 325
E-mail: mzm@mzm.cz

Director of MZM: PhDr. Mgr. Martin Reissner (Curicullum Vitae), phone: +420 533 435 201

The Moravian Museum

Today, the museum collections include several million objects, representing valuable scientific material from the fields of literature, music and theatre, geology, mineralogy, botany, zoology and entomology. Within the museum work 15 specialised and several service departments. The museum is headed by its director, Mr. Martin Reissner (PhDr. Mgr.).

The Moravian Museum has developed a rich tradition in scientific, documentation and education work. The results of scientific research are published in scientific journals, monographs, exhibition catalogues and other publications. Every year, numerous temporary exhibitions, lectures. concerts and other educational programmes are taking place in all museum buildings.

The Children's Museum, special education and leisure facility, is dedicated to the youngest generation of museum visitors. Interesting cultural and educational events and exhibitions are prepared in co-operation with particular departments.

All the museum staff is looking forward to your visit.

History of the Moravian Museum

The Moravian Museum, second-ranking museum institution by its size in the Czech Republic, was founded as soon as in July 1817 by a decree of Emperor Francis I., by the cradle stood such men as Christian Karl Andre (Moravian economist, enlightener, agriculture specialist, journalist, secretary of the Moravian-Silesian Society for Agriculture Development, Natural Sciences and Local History), Count Josef Auersperg (1767-1829, lawyer, graduate from Charles’ University in Prague, enlightener, important representative of the Moravian intelligence, the Moravian-Silesian Society for Development of Agriculture, Natural Sciences and Local History supporter), Antonin Bedrich Mitrovsky (1770-1842, lawyer, graduate from Theresian Knight’s Academy in Vienna, state officer, governor of Moravia 1815-1827 supported the efforts to found a museum in Brno, thanks to him the museum acquired its first building, the so called Bishop’s Courtyard in Brno), Count Hugo-Frantisek Salm-Reifferscheidt (1776-1836, enlightener, entrepreneur in mining, metallurgy, and in agriculture, director of the Moravian Society for Agriculture Development, Natural Sciences and Local History, gifted the museum with collections of nature history and art).

Back to main page

Last modified:

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional